Every year, Transportation for Liveable Comunities celebrates the good things that Hamilton offers in the way of car-freedom. This year, once again, the events span a week, but they could become events that stay with you a lifetime:
* Monday, September 21 - BUS AND HIKE TO SHERMAN FALLS - meet at the campus bus stop by McMaster Museum of art at 5:30pm sharp -bus leaves at 5:35pm (bring your MacID or bus tickets, water and a snack, proper footwear - rain or shine) - Free Waterfall and Hamilton Bike Route maps for participants. Optional Pub stop at the Phoenix upon returning by bus to campus (8-8:30 est time of arrival)
* Tuesday, September 22 - 6:00 to 9:00pm. Have a happy car free day and learn to do free basic bike repair and maintenance at Hamilton's first all-volunteer non-profit bike repair workshop: RECYCLE CYCLES. Located in the basement of Erskine Presbyterian Church (19 Pearl Street North, Hamilton) - enter at side door off Morden Street. There is no cost for the workshop, but please pre-register with randy(dot)opirg(at)gmail(dot)com or by calling 905-525-9140 ext. 26026
* Thursday, September 24 - Annual CAR FREE DRIVE IN MOVIE AT GAGE PARK - free films for the whole family at dusk at the historic bandshell - take a bus, ride, walk to the movies under the stars.
BY BUS: From Central McMaster Campus take the HSR #5 Delaware Bus (eastbound, destination Greenhill) or check out the google maps for transit in Hamilton to make your route choices
BY BICYCLE? Grab a city of Hamilton Bike Routes and Parks map from the OPIRG office (McMaster Student Centre room 229)
* Friday, September 25 - Hamilton's monthly CRITICAL MASS BIKE RIDE meets at the corner of Hess and George Streets, in Hamilton's "Hess Village" at 5:30 pm on the last friday of each month. This is the CAR FREE WEEK mass ride - dress up, bring some noise, and let your spirits soar with your bike along Hamilton's downtown streets.
* Saturday, September 26 - McMaster to Market - self guide yourself: walk from the McMaster campus to two local markets - one, Westdale's weekly organic vegetable market (Saturday's from 8am to 1pm in front of My Dog Joe Fair trade coffeehouse ), and the Makers Market, 10am to3pm at St. Paul's Church in Westdale, the fourth Saturday of the month, featuring local produce and local artisans.